Wednesday, June 1, 2016

About Dante's use of real people...

I wrote to Professor Joseph Pearce (listed as Executive Producer, I think, on this study) to ask his opinion of Dante's placing people in hell who were known to him and others of his time. I asked if this wasn't a sin of detraction. It was really starting to bother us, especially in regard to Pope Boniface and the Italian-bad-guy-turned-supposedly-holy-Franciscan (forget the name).

Here is his reply (he's British; therefore the British spelling):
Dear Celine, 
Your discomfort with what might be termed Dante's judgmentalism is understandable. It's not for any of us to presume that anyone is in hell, any more than it is for any of us to presume that we're going to heaven. I think it fair, therefore, to question this aspect of Dante's approach. In his defence, I would suggest that he wanted to avoid writing a formal allegory about the deadly sins in the abstract or presenting them as personified abstractions. In putting real people in hell and purgatory, it enlivens his story, bringing it to life literarily. He is, therefore, employing poetic licence. Whether this is sufficient reason for the crime of judgmentalism is, however, questionable. 
On the other hand, Dante is doing nothing wrong in placing popes, priests and religious in hell and purgatory (leaving aside the problem with his naming specific popes, priests, etc.). There have been many bad popes and priests and it is good to embrace this fact. Most popes have not been canonized. We don't know where they are in terms of the afterlife. Good Catholics should not be afraid to admit that there are bad Catholics, including bad priests and popes. I don't think, therefore, that he is committing scandal by putting popes and priests in hell, though he is causing scandal, perhaps, in naming individual popes and priests. 
My final observation is to beseech you to not allow this issue to blind you to the beauty of Dante's engagement with sin (in hell and purgatory), with repentance (in purgatory) and with sanctity (in heaven). It is a majestic work, filled to the brim with Christian insight into man's relationship with God and his neighbor. In short, we shouldn't allow the mote in Dante's eye to become the plank in ours! 
I hope this helps. 
God bless,
Joseph   

I just love that he "beseeches me."  I've never been beseeched in my life. :-)

Celine